- About Department
- Subdepartments and Cabinets
- Home Scientific Fields
- Centers and institutes
- Teaching staff
- International cooperation
Third Study Cycle
The third study cycle programme at the Department of Geography, according to the Bologna system of education, began in the academic year 2013/2014. The third cycle of studies lasts for 3 study years, i.e 6 semesters, and upon its completion, a total of 180 ECTS credits are acquired. A study year is organized into two semesters, summer and winter, and lasts one academic year (with a one-month break during August). At the end of an academic year, a total of 60 ECTS credits are acquired, i.e 30 ECTS per semester.
Study programs at the third cycle of studies of the Department of Geography are organized in the following three study fields:
• Geography in education (within the joint third cycle studies – PhD programme “Natural and Mathematical Sciences in Education” at the Faculty of Science),
• Regional and spatial planning,
• Tourism and environmental protection.
The study program Geography in Education in the third cycle of studies represents a study field within the joint third cycle studies – the PhD programme “Natural and Mathematical Sciences in Education” which was formed in June 2013 by the Faculty of Science, University of Sarajevo. Compulsory subjects of the joint third cycle – PhD programme “Natural and Mathematical Sciences in Education” carry 23 ECTS in the first semester, 10 ECTS in the second semester and 20 ECTS in the third semester. In accordance with the Guidelines, it is envisaged that students in the III, IV, V, and VI semesters will be predominantly engaged in scientific research activities and the preparation of a dissertation. The subjects are divided into four groups. The first group consists of subjects from the field of pedagogical and psychological sciences. The second group includes subjects in the field of geography teaching methodology (for the study of geography).
The third group includes subjects from the professional fields of natural and mathematical sciences (geographical subjects for the study of geography), and the fourth group consists of subjects / seminars that are directly related to the scientific research work of the candidate and the preparation of a dissertation. It is estimated that the representation of subjects from the mentioned groups is approximately distributed as 15% (first group), 15% (second group), 15% (third group) and 55% (fourth group). The study programme consists of lectures, which can be of a consultative nature depending on the number of participants and scientific research work within the thesis, which is valorized through four PhD seminars and the defense of the doctoral thesis. At the end of the third cycle study programme Geography in Education, the title of PhD of Geographical Sciences / Sciences in Education is acquired.
PhD in Geographical Sciences / Sciences in Education are, among other things, trained for independent and original research in the field of application of fundamental geographical research for educational significance, for independent and team participation in scientific research projects important for school geography development and active participation in adoption, innovation and implementation of curricula in Bosnia and Herzegovina, for active participation in international conferences of interest for the development of fundamental and applied geography, for the development, presentation, revision and review of strategic documents relating to the geographical regionalization of Bosnia and Herzegovina respecting the European Charter of the Regions and Regionalisation of the European Union, as the basis of regional geography in the education system and numerous other activities in this field.
The study program of the third cycle of studies in the field of Regional and spatial planning is adapted to the education and preparation of students for scientific research in the fields of regional and spatial planning. At the end of the third cycle of studies, majoring in regional and spatial planning, the title of PhD of Geographical Sciences / Sciences in the field of regional and spatial planning is acquired.
The study program of the third cycle of studies in the field of Tourism and Environmental protection is adapted to the education and preparation of students for scientific research in the fields of tourism and environmental protection. At the end of the third cycle of studies, majoring in regional and spatial planning, the title of PhD of Geographical Sciences / Sciences in the field of tourism and environmental protection is acquired.
The basic educational goals of the study programs of the third cycle of geography studies in the field of regional and spatial planning and tourism and environmental protection and the competences of doctoral students in these fields are:
• systematic understanding of the essence of geographical space and its valorization for strategic development purposes;
• building a networked and complex opinion on the environment as a medium for the development of spatial, regional, tourist and general geographical significance;
• synthesis, explication and implementation of acquired fundamental and applied geographical knowledge in strategic development programs, the most important of which are the tertiary economic sector, which belongs to the part of regional and spatial planning of special purpose;
• ability for independent and original scientific research in the field of fundamental geographical research for educational, tourism, geo-ecological and regional-planning significance;
• necessary component and complex geographical research in order to solve the problems caused by the irrational use of natural geographical resources, depopulation, deagrarization, deruralization of Bosnia and Herzegovina;
• training for drafting, presentation, revision and review of strategic documents related to the geographical regionalization of Bosnia and Herzegovina, taking into account the European Charter of Regions and Regionalization of the European Union;
• expert analysis of tourism development, regional and spatial distribution of economic development of the state, regions and socio-political communities, and numerous other goals and competencies in these areas.
After completing the third cycle of studies, PhD of Geographical sciences / Sciences in the field of Regional and spatial planning and Tourism and environmental protection are trained for independent creative research in the fields of regional and spatial planning, tourism and environmental protection.
More detailed information on the mentioned study programs of the third cycle of geography studies at our Department can be obtained by reviewing the accompanying curricula.
Head of the Third cycle (PhD) study of geography:
PhD Nusret Drešković, full professor